Thursday, May 30, 2013

If I'm Secure in Christ

If I'm Secure in Christ

 

The first two paragraphs are by Tim Keller of New York City, and the rest I completed.  The Scripture is 1 Corinthians 3:11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 

The Christian singles at Redeemer really aren't that different than everybody else in Manhattan.  In most of Manhattan the men wouldn't even think about dating any woman who is overweight or any woman who is not really good looking, and the women would not even think about dating any man who is not on a pretty good looking career track.  It's no different inside the church than outside the church. 

Do you know why the average Christian single cannot bear to even think about looking at somebody with wonderful character and deep spirituality but who really isn't very cool, polished or good looking enough.  It's because their self-esteem can't handle dating somebody like that.  It is one thing to experience God's grace, but it's another thing to look at people differently through the lens of God's grace.  When you do this, you view social reality different (end of Keller excerpts).

If I'm insecure, then my spouse has to be perfect.  I tell her that she needs to work out and eat right and be a certain size.  I explain that it is for her health.  The real reason is that I need her to look good in order to make me look good.

If I'm insecure, then I push my children to be the best athlete/musician/scholar, etc.  You have to practice and practice and practice.  I tell them it is for their own good.  However, it is not be about them.  The better they look, then the better I look.

This "if I'm insecure" list is endless.  However, if I'm secure in Christ and my foundation is there, then maybe I can love others more like Jesus. 

 Acceptance leads to influence.  We close down around rejection, and we open up when we feel accepted and loved no matter our performance or behavior.

 Champions, have a great summer!-David Vining