Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Blessed Are the Meek

Blessed Are the Meek

Dear Champions,

The short excerpt is mainly by Susan Neder with a little help from Tim Keller, and the scripture is Matthew 5:5 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

Many people connect meekness with weakness, but meekness refers to power under control. It is used of a spirited animal who is trained to obey a command.  Think of a wild horse that has been bridled.  His power is still there, but it is being channeled by another.  After it has learned to accept its master's control, it is able to race more powerfully than ever.  For us, this means a submitting of all that we are to the leadership of the Holy Spirit who lives within us.

From Tim Keller:  I know all kinds of people who say, "I'd like to become a Christian, but does that mean that I have to drop my girlfriend because she is not real big on faith?  Does this mean that I'm going to have to spend less money on myself because I really like this and that sort of activity?  I'd like to become a Christian, but do I have to do this and this and this?"  They are saying.  "I'd like to give God the Lordship of my life as long as I can stay in control."  Ultimately, after all of the thinking, at some point you're going to have to say, "I don't even know what it's going to bring into my life, but because Jesus has done so much for me, I give up the Lordship and control of my life.  I am no longer the Lord of my own life, but I am the servant." (End of Keller Quotes)

Meekness accepts God's dealings with us as good, so we accept them without rebelling or resisting.  It refers not to just outward behaviors but to an inward condition of our hearts and minds.  At its root, it is a trusting and submissive attitude toward God.  Therefore, true meekness musts spring from who we think God is, and how He expresses that toward us.  Unless we know Him as good, loving, forgiving, and seeking only the best and highest for us, how can we trust him?

Jesus describes Himself as meek.  He was not meek because He couldn't help Himself, but He chose to place Himself in trusting submission to the authority of His Father.  He said, "My food is to do the will of Him Who sent Me and to accomplish His work."  I do nothing, but what I see my Father doing." 

Champions, have a great week!-David Vining