Friday, February 8, 2019

Watch Out!

Watch Out!

Dear Champions,

The short excerpt is by Tim Keller and the scripture is Luke 12:15 Then he said to them, 'Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.'

 

For years I've had people come to me as a pastor saying I've got a problem with sex, but I've never had anybody come to me saying, "Pastor, I've got a problem with greed."  Jesus says that's why you've got to watch for it.  It always hides from you.  There are greedy people around, but nobody thinks it is them. 

 

Juliet Shore says in her book The Overspent American that we're always hanging out with people who make more than we do.  Therefore, nobody feels materialistic or that they make too much.  Nobody feels they spend too much money on themselves.  Only 1/3 of American households who make more than $100,000/year agree with the statement 'I can afford to buy everything I really need.'  Two thirds of all American households making over $100,000/year feel they do not make enough to buy all the things that they really need.  

 

The most wealthy people in the most wealthy country in the history of the world believe they can't afford everything that they really need.  Watch out!

 

Champions, have a great week!-David Vining