Thursday, January 31, 2019

Weak People

Weak People

Dear Champions,

The short excerpt is by Tim Keller, and the scripture is Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to me (Jesus), all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

 

Every other religion says that God is the top of a ladder.  He's put a ladder down between you and heaven and earth, and He is standing at the top of the ladder saying, "Perform, Do Good, Live Right, Emulate the Heroes!   If You Try Real Hard You Can Come Up The Ladder and Come To Heaven!"  

 

But Jesus Christ said, "You will see angels ascending and descending on the Son of Man."  He said, "You'll never come up the ladder!  The Christian God is not a god who stands at the top of the ladder but who sent His Son down to be the ladder.  He says, "My son Jesus Christ will come down and live the life that you should lived and die the death that you should have died."  These Bible stories are not a series of role models to emulate but weak people like you and me that a strong God had to come down and be weak and die on the cross to save us. The gospel saves people, not who are strong, but those who will admit that they are sinners and that they are weak.  God works with weak people and through them.

 

Champions, have a great week!-David Vining