Sunday, September 11, 2016

In Honor of Katie Beth Carter

In Honor of Katie Beth Carter


Dear Champions,

 

The short excerpt is from Jim Dobson's book, When Life Doesn't Make Sense.  It has been inspired by the death for our dear friend, 18 year old Katie Beth Carter.  She was killed in a car wreck while heading back to college last Monday.  The scripture is Proverbs 3:5-6  Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

 

Pastor Jim Conway's daughter, Becki, had her leg amputated because of cancer.  Here is part of his story.

 

I remember a guy I saw in a restaurant a few days after Becki underwent surgery.  He was sitting at a table, and as I walked by, he reached out and grabbed my coat.  He said, "Jim, I think God has allowed this to happen because it has brought about a revival in our church."  I said, "So what is God going to do to bring another revival when this one passes, chop off Becki's other leg?  Then her arm and her other arm?  There isn't enough of Becki to keep any church spiritually alive, if that is what it takes."

 

When you start reaching for puny answers like that, it dehumanizes those who suffer and insults our magnificent God who loves and cares for the oppressed.  I couldn't explain why Becki had to lose her leg, but I knew the answers being given were not right.

 

Probably the most important thing I learned in this entire process is this:  I became deeply aware that there were only two choices that I could make.  One was to continue in my anger at God and follow the path of despair I was on.  The other choice was to let God be God, and somehow say, "I don't know how all this fits together.  I don't understand the reasons for it.  I'm not even going to ask for the explanation.  I've chosen to accept the fact that You are God and I'm the servant, instead of the other way around."  And there I left it.

 

It was in that choice that I came to cope with my situation.  I frankly admit that after all these years, I still struggle with some things.  I will get sick to my stomach when I see my daughter hopping on one leg.  But I have come to recognize that God has a higher purpose, and I just don't understand that purpose.  I am prepared to wait until eternity to receive answers to my questions, if necessary.  Like Job, I am now able to say, "Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him" (Job 13:15 KJV).  It's either despair, or it's the acceptance of His sovereignty.  Those are the alternatives.

 

Champions, if you remember, please pray for Katie's Beth's family.  Have a great week!-David Vining

 

P.S.  You can read more and see a picture of  Katie Beth at this gofundme.com site.  https://www.gofundme.com/2nh4ej56