Friday, September 23, 2016

Grace and Truth

Grace and Truth

Dear Champions,


The first two paragraphs are by Tim Keller, and the last paragraph is by Steve Chesney.  The scripture is John 1:17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

 

God says, "I am forgiving, but I never let sin go unpunished.  I am absolutely loving and just.  I am full of grace and truth."   I forgive everybody, and I refuse to let anything go unpunished."  

 

When you hear Him say that, you say, "That's impossible."  Yet God says, "Unless you understand how I can be both, you will never see My glory.  That is the essence of My glory."  It's only in understanding what Jesus has done does that glory come.

 

Do you want to see how much God hates your sin.  Look at the cross.  It's where His anger boils up and overflows.  But in the same breath, do you want to see how much God loves you.  Look back at the cross.  That's where God says, "I love you so much I will come, and I'll take your place.  I will send my precious son to absorb the full blow and penalty that you deserve.  I'll take it on my own head."  Is God a God of justice?  You bet!  Look at the cross!  It's where His justice and His love come crashing together, but the crash is not on your head.  It's on Jesus!  The cross is where God says, "I love you this much!"

 

Champions, have a great week!-David Vining