Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Humility

Humility


The following came from Jim Cymbala's book, The Life God Blesses, and the Scripture is Isaiah 66:2  . . . 'These are the ones I look on with favour: those who are humble and contrite in spirit . . .The short excerpt is a son's reflection about his late father, Pastor Howard Goss.


My dad really walked with God.  He was quite famous in his circle of churches, and everybody wanted him to speak, especially at those huge summer-camp meetings.
 
I'll never forget one big camp meeting up in Canada when I was a kid.  Every famous preacher was invited, and the crowds were tremendous.  Our family arrived a day early, and the leaders were making out the schedule for the speakers.  Meetings were held all day long, and the visiting preachers all wanted to speak during the night rallies when the crowds were largest.  The preachers actually jockeyed around hoping to get the biggest meetings for their preaching assignments.
 
Suddenly one of the leaders asked where my father was.  He was in the prime of his ministry and was highly respected by everyone.  They wanted to consult with him, but no one seemed to know where he was.  They finally heard that he was last seen in the kitchen and dining hall area, so I went with them to find him.
 
They could scarcely believe their eyes when they got to the kitchen.  There was my dad on his hands and knees scrubbing the floor with some of the other workers?
 
"Brother Goss," they said, "what are you doing here?  We're making out the preaching schedule and wanted to know your preference."
 
"Oh, brothers," my dad replied, "you've got so many good preachers here that you don't need to worry about me.  But I found out that they're short of help here in the kitchen so I thought I'd lend a hand."


Champions, have a great week!-David Vining