Thursday, May 19, 2016

Commitment

Commitment


Dear Champions,


The short excerpt is by Dennis Rainey, and the Scripture is 1 John 4:18. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear. . .
 
A powerful picture of how love casts out fear is found in the book Welcome Home, Davey. While serving aboard a gunboat in Vietnam, Dave Roever was holding a phosphorous grenade some six inches from his face when a snipers bullet ignited the explosion.  Here he describes the first time he saw his face after the explosion:
 
When I looked in that mirror, I saw a monster, not a human being . . . My soul seemed to shrivel up and collapse in on itself, to be sucked into a black hole of despair.  I was left with an indescribable and terrifying emptiness.  I was alone in the way the souls in hell must feel alone.
 
Finally he came back to the States to meet his young bride, Brenda.  Just before she arrived, he watched a wife tell another burn victim that she wanted a divorce.  Then Brenda walked in.
 
Showing not the slightest tremor of horror or shock, she bent down and kissed me on what was left of my face.  Then she looked me in my good eye, smiled, and said, Welcome home, Davey!  I love you.  To understand what that meant to me you have to know that's what she called me when we were most intimate; she would whisper Davey, over and over in my ear . . . . By using her term of endearment for me, she said, You are my husband.  You will always be my husband.  You are still my man.
 
Love is not just a feeling.  It is a commitment and a decision.


Champions, have a great week!-David Vining