Thursday, May 7, 2015

He Submitted First

He Submitted First

 Dear Champions,

The short excerpt is by Tim Keller, and the scripture is Matthew 1:20-21 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.  She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."

Jesus is the first person ever born who is older than His parents.   One of the most interesting things about the birth of Jesus is that the parents are not allowed to name the child.  Parents are always allowed to give their baby its name because they are older, and they are in charge.  What the angel is trying to say is that you don't manage Him, He manages you.  

I know all kinds of people who say, "I'd like to become a Christian, but does that mean that I have to drop my girlfriend because she is not real big on faith?  Does this mean that I'm going to have to spend less money on myself because I really like this and that sort of activity?  I'd like to become a Christian, but do I have to do this and this and this?" 

 

Here's what they are saying.  "I'd like to give God the Lordship of my life as long as I can stay in control."  Ultimately, at some point you're going to have to say, "I don't even know what it's going to bring into my life, but I give up the Lordship and control of my life.  I am no longer the Lord of my own life, I am the servant." 

 

Don't say to me, "Well I've tried, and I can't believe," when ultimately you're not willing to do that.  The only thing that leads you to do that is when you see that He gave Himself away for you first.  I don't know of what other kind of God that you could submit to.  You have a God who has already submitted to you.  No other religion gives you a god like that. 

 

Champions, have a great week!-David Vining