Thursday, April 30, 2015

Nothing in My Hands I Bring

Nothing in My Hands I Bring


Dear Champions,

 

The short excerpt is by Tim Keller, and the scripture is Matthew 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

 

Blessed are the poor in Spirit means that the gospel will come to you only if you get rid of your middle class Spirit and become poor in Spirit.  Religion is middle class.  It appeals to the people who say, "I can do it if I work hard enough."  But the gospel only comes into the lives of those who are poor in Spirit and say, "I have absolutely nothing of value to give you.   I need to rely completely on the grace of Jesus Christ."

If you are middle class in Spirit, you'll love religion.   Religion says, Try hard, live nobly, be good, be tolerant, and give money to the poor.  The religious person says, "I can do it!  I can summons up all of my strength.  I'm going to turn over a new leaf, and I'm going to start living like this."  The gospel, however, is not religion.  The gospel says that no one is good, not one (Romans 3:10).  There is nothing in your heart that is good.  Even your good deeds have been done to feel superior to other people and to try and get control and leverage over God to get Him to owe you.   Even your best deeds are as filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6).  You're filled with self-righteousness, and you are no better than the person who has lived an immoral life.  There is no love of God in your heart, and there is only one hope. 

The hope-Jesus Christ, the rich one, became poor.  Jesus Christ, the king, became a poor man.  Here is a man who is rejected and who dies naked.  He is buried in a borrowed grave.  Only because He died for you and your sins and then rose from the grave do you have any hope.  You have no merits (works) to offer Him.  When you come to God you must come and say, "Nothing in my hands I bring, simply to the cross I cling."  You must not come saying, "I have lived a pretty good life, and you owe me."  Instead, you have to say, "You have every right to send me to Hell, but I want your mercy because of what Jesus Christ did."

Champions, have a great week!-David Vining