Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Message of Reconciliation-Part 2

The Message of Reconciliation-Part 2


Dear Champions,


The short excerpt is by Andy Stanley, and the scripture is Romans 12:17-18 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.    If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.


Reconciliation became an unavoidable reality for me years ago when my relationship with my Dad was dead and dying.  I was going to see a counselor because I kept talking to my wife about it.  Finally she said, "You've said that 25 times.  I can't help you.  You need to tell someone else."  That's what we do.  We take all of our dysfunction from one relationship, and we just dump it on a new one.  Our husband and wives and kids are like, "What did we do?"


Finally I went to see a counselor.  During this time, a friend of my Dad called me and told me that I was wasting my time trying to reconcile with my Dad.  He said, "Your Dad is from a generation where he is not going to come around, and you need to stop trying."


That was all I needed to hear, so I went to my counselor.  "I've done all I can do.  I've done all I'm going to do, and even one of his friends said that I ought to be done."  My counselor wasn't buying it, so I asked him, "How long do I have to do this?  When can I finally give up on this?"  He said, "Andy, you can give up on your relationship with your father when your heavenly Father gives up on His relationship with you." 


Champions, have a great week!-David Vining