Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Gap Behind and In Front

The Gap Behind and In Front

 

The short excerpt is by Tim Keller and the Scripture is Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

 

Many people often say that nobody can know about God and be sure that they are right.  How can they be sure about that since it itself is a belief about God?  How can you be so sure that you are right about not being able to know about God?

           

The answer is faith. You cannot prove it, so it is a statement of faith and you are basing your eternal destiny on that belief. You take what you cannot prove and live your life based on it, and that is faith.  The author of A Severe Mercy tells of a conversion experience: 

 

I began to see a gap between the possible and the proved, and it would take a leap of faith to cross it. I did not want to do that. If I was going to stake my life on the risen Christ, I did not want there to be any gap. I wanted proof, and I wanted letters across the sky. Then I realized there was a gap behind me as well. I could not prove Jesus is God, but I could not disprove Him either.  I realized that I could not reject Jesus without a great step of faith, and then I realized I could not go ahead without a great step of faith. Once I saw that the gap behind me was as great as the gap before me, I went across the gap before me and came to Jesus.
 
Champions, have a great week!-David Vining