Thursday, December 10, 2009

God Sought Me

God Sought Me
 
Dear Champions,
 
The short excerpt is by former Greystone camper Kelly Blount Grimsley, and the Scripture is Romans 10:20 And Isaiah boldly says, I was found by those who did not seek me; I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me.
 
Two weeks into our six week Greystone session, my parents dropped the bomb of their divorce.  I spent the next decade truly shell shocked, hurt, angry and lost.  I threw everything but God into the God shaped hole in my heart.  I never sought Him because I did not know how.  I accepted Christ during my five years at Greystone and had a Christian foundation laid, but I was nowhere near beginning a relationship with Christ. 
 
I somehow survived my rebellious teen years bouncing from one boarding school to another and married Mike when I was 21.  Mike was 34, a good man, from a good Christian family but had not begun living for Christ yet.  Boy do opposites attract!   Mike frequently points out that God called us together because it was a guaranteed way to have us searching for Him.  As our marriage inevitably unraveled, that is exactly what we did.  Mike took the Disciples study and dragged me kicking and screaming into it the following year. 
 
Through studying His word, our marriage not only survived, but began to thrive.  God calmed the raging storm that was within me, as only He can. Someone had prayed for me and though I was not seeking God, God sought me.  Though I was on a self destructive path, God guided my way and I came to know and love Christ, and He chose a husband for me that has come to be a strong spiritual leader for our family.
 
My parents divorce, death of friends, self destruction, marriage, children, and even a serious illness with our middle child have all proved Romans 8:28.  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.   I believe prayers are the reason, and the power of prayer has become very real to me. I feel called to work with youth because someone prayed for me, and the power of a praying person has proven the difference that one person praying can make in the life a struggling kid. 
 
Champions, have a great week!-David Vining