Monday, December 18, 2017

It's All Pointing to Jesus

It's All Pointing To Jesus

Dear Champions, 

The short excerpt is by Tim Keller, and the scripture is 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 

The Scripture isn't man's reaching up for God; It is God's reaching down to us.  When people went to John the Baptist and asked, "Are you the one," he kept saying, "I'm not the One.  I'm testifying to the One.  I'm pointing to Something beyond me.  I bear witness to the One.

Every law, rule, text, and passage as pointing beyond itself to Jesus Christ. 

Let's look at the story of Joseph.  Joseph is sold into slavery by his brothers.  He's betrayed, and they basically try to kill him.  They sell him into a life of misery and suffering, but he triumphs through it because he trusts in God.  And finally in the end he's ascended to the right hand of the throne.  When his brothers are dying of a famine, he could use his power to save his family and forgive them.  If you read 90% of the commentaries, they see it pointing to Joseph and say, "If I try hard, no matter how much I'm suffering or how much people have betrayed me, I can get through.  If I just believe in God, I can do anything.  If I try hard enough I can forgive." 

If you read it that way, then you will either become smug and self-righteous, or you'll become absolutely crushed with despair.  You'll say, "I'll never be able to do that."

Every part of the Bible is saying just what John the Baptist said:  "I'm not the One!  I'm pointing to Someone else!"

The real Joseph (Jesus) was sold and betrayed by the people who should have loved Him, yet He brought about redemption through His suffering.  Now He's seated at the right hand of the Father, and He has forgiven us.  Until you see yourself as the recipient of what Jesus Christ has done (as the true Joseph) you'll never have the melted heart necessary to forgive other people.  If Joseph is an example, he'll just crush you!  But if he's pointing to Jesus Christ, then suddenly there's freedom. 

Champions, have a great week!-David Vining