Monday, November 27, 2017

Mary Glenn Oliver


Mary Glenn Oliver


Dear Champions,

 

The scripture is John 16: 33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." and Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;

 

Saturday morning I got an email telling me that my friend, 16-year-old Mary Glenn Oliver, had passed away.  She had taken her own life.  It was a punch to my stomach.  I cried.  I have known Mary Glenn her entire life.  She was beautiful, happy, joyful, kind, thoughtful and unselfish.  I kiddingly told her that I got married on February 15th because it was two days after her birthday.  This would help me not to forget our anniversary.   She blessed all of us at Camp Greystone!  Her family is amazing!  I cannot imagine a better father and mother than Adrian and Sara Oliver or better siblings than Emma and Joseph.

 

So how does this happen?  I don't know.  I did find out that she had been battling depression the last couple of years.  I had no idea.

 

Here is what I do know.  Matthew 22:32 says, 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not the God of the dead but of the living."  Mary Glenn is living in heaven.  She is not dead but is alive.  Jesus is the God of the living.  My pain is only a fraction of her family's pain.  Their pain is only a fraction of God's pain.  In John 11:35 Jesus wept when Lazarus died.  He knew that He was going to raise him from the dead, yet He still wept.  Why weep for someone when you know that you are about to raise him from the dead?  The answer is perfect love!

 

Sometimes beneath the surface people that we love are hurting, and we don't even know it.  If this is you, please tell someone. 

 

Pam Thum wrote a song "Life is Hard, but God is Good."  Life is hard, but God is good.

 

From the caringbridge website.  Mary Glenn passed away this evening (Sunday, Nov. 26) after a successful organ donation. Her family is grateful that she will live on in the body of others. They appreciate all of your prayers, kind words and support during this difficult time.

 

To the Oliver family, you are an incredible family!  God could not have placed Mary Glenn into a better family on Earth.  We love you, we weep with you, and we are praying for you!

 

Champions, with tears in my eyes, have a blessed week!-David Vining

 

P.S.  You can visit the caring page at the following address: https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/maryglennoliver