Wednesday, May 24, 2017

For the Glory of God

For the Glory of God


The short excerpt is by Tim Keller of New York City, and the scripture is 1 Corinthians 10:31  So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
 
In 1981 the movie Chariots of Fire came out, and it was a true story about two British men, Harold Abrams and Eric Little who won gold medals for Britain in the 1924 Paris Olympics.  Harold Abrams and Eric Little were both setting their minds on the same thing.  They wanted to run and win, but it was for totally different reasons. 
 
When Harold Abrams was asked why he was running he described the 100 yard dash this way.  "When that gun goes off I have 10 seconds to justify my existence." He is saying that if I can only win this race, then I know that I matter and that I can face the world.  Eric Little, on the other hand, was actually praising God when he ran.  In the movie he says, "God made me fast, and when I run, I feel His pleasure."
 
One guy is running to praise His Savior, and here is the other guy who is running to become his own Savior.  One guy is running for the sheer joy of it.  It is icing on the cake and if he wins.  His life is already justified because of what Jesus has done for him on the cross.  But here is the other guy who is running in grinding anxiety and fear because he is seeking to be justified.  Even after Abrams wins, by the way, he finds it unsatisfying.  Idols never satisfy.

 

Champions, have a great week!-David Vining