Thursday, March 10, 2016

Goodness

Goodness


Dear Champions,

 

The short excerpt is by Tim Keller and the scripture is Matthew 21:31 Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you.

 

Jesus over and over again says to the Pharisees that the pimps and the prostitutes go into the kingdom of God before they do.  As John Girsner once put it, "The thing that really separates us from God is not so much our sins but our damnable good works." 

 

The rebellious rule breakers just decide to be their own Savior and Lord.  They say, "I don't need God or religion.  Don't tell me what's right and wrong.  I will decide what is right and wrong for me.  They know that they have kicked God out of their life.  Therefore, when their life falls apart, and there is smoke, they say that maybe they need God. 

 

Goodness may actually mask people's battle with God and the fact that they are also being their own Savior and Lord.  Because of their goodness they don't really make Jesus their Savior and Lord.  They are their own Savior and Lord and think that God owes them.  Therefore, when their life stops working and falls apart, there is smoke all over, but they can't find the fire. 

 

I don't know how many times I have heard people say, "I've tried Christianity and God, and it didn't work."  What they mean is, "I wanted something, and God didn't give it to me."   They set their heart on other things besides God, and they were just using Him.   When they weren't getting the things that they really wanted, they blamed God and assumed that Christianity didn't work. 


Champions, have a great week!-David Vining