Friday, February 6, 2015

I Love You Because I Love You

I Love You Because I love You

 Dear Champions,

The short excerpt is by Tim Keller, and the scripture is paraphrased in the excerpt.

Deuteronomy 7 goes  like this.  The Lord did not set His affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other people, for you are the fewest of all people, but it was because the Lord loved you that He redeemed you from the land of slavery.   I loved you because I love you! 

Ed Clowney says that if you have a god who says, "I love you because you repented and submitted to me and because you are keeping up and obeying the 10 commandments," that is not love.  All real love has to be circular.   

You will never love a god who you believe is only loving you because you are good, and because you are faithful to him in every way.  He is not loving you for yourself, and you will never love Him for Himself.  You will love him as long as he is forking over comfort and as long as he is forking over answers to prayers.  You are making merchandise of each other.  But if God just says, "I have just loved you before the stars were put into heaven because you were more beautiful than the stars.  The stars may fall from heaven, but my love for you will stand."  When you realize that He loves you just for who you are in yourself, you will be able to give Him love just for who He is in Himself.

You are an absolute beauty to God, and He loves you because He loves you.

Champions, have a great week!-David Vining