Monday, December 2, 2013

Objections to Reconciliation

Objections to Reconciliation


Dear Champions,


The excerpt is by Andy Stanley, and the Scripture is in the excerpt.


Objection number 1:  It's just so complicated with this person because the stuff is so incredibly big.


Reconciliation is not about working through the issues.  It isn't about condemning or making sure you are justified.  Reconciliation is, I am going to open up the door and send you an invitation.  We don't have to talk about any of the issues.  I haven't heard from you in a while, and I wanted to send you an invitation to see the kids.  Hope things are going well. 


Are you saying that we are just going to ignore all of that stuff?  Yes!   Remember that while you were still a sinner Christ died for you and me (Romans 5:6).  God just wants you to send a picture, a letter, or to reach out and give somebody an update.   Reconciliation isn't about rehearsing the past and getting everyone on the same page and dealing with the elephants in the room.  Reconciliation is in spite of all of that.


Objection number 2:  If I start going over there, then it will look like I'm condoning that relationship. 


That's not your real reason, and you are just hiding behind that.  You just don't want to move in their direction.  While you were still sinning with all of your sin ahead of you, Christ 2000 years ago died for you anyway.  He didn't condone your sin.  He just moved into your direction and life in spite of your sin and started working.


The biggest objection:  I don't care how many letters, pictures or invitations I send, it's not going to work. 


If you open up, send an invitation and move in their direction, it's going to work on you.  Whether or not they ever respond and do anything in your direction isn't your issue.  If you move in their direction, down the road you will say this.  "My attempt to reconcile became the center of God's work in my life.  God got more mileage out of that decision than any other decision that I have ever made in my adult life.  Something has happened inside of me."


Attempts at reconciliation always work in someone.  If you are a Christ follower, your responsibility is to do toward them what your heavenly Father has done toward you.  Our attempts to reconcile should not be based on their behavior or the fact that they are ever going to respond or that they deserve it.  Because Christ's love compels us (2 Corinthians 5:14), we need to attempt to reconcile.  Christ's love for you and me compels us to set the table, open the door  and send the invitation.  Do everything in your power to make reconciliation possible just in case they ever decide to respond.


Champions, have a great week!-David Vining