Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Why?

Why?

Dear Champions,

This week and next week are both poems, and the authors are unknown.

WHY?

 

I walked today through the slums of life

Down the dark streets of wretchedness and of pain

I tried today where few have tried

And as I walked I challenged God

 

I saw the sots in the ballrooms

I saw the prostitutes in the dance halls

I saw the thieves as they picked pockets

I saw men and women living in worlds of sin

And above the den I whispered, "Why God, Why?"

 

I walked today down the lanes of hate

Hearing the jeers of bitter men

Hearing the names as they cursed and spat

"Dago, Faggot, Nigger"

I saw the dejected men they stoned

I felt the anguish of their cries

I saw them as they slapped the lonely

As they turned their backs on human needs

These God called his sons

Gasping for air I cried, "Why God, Why?"

 

I walked today through wars' dregs

Over grave less men I saw the dead, the crucified,                             

 the headless, the limbless, the pleading, the crying

I saw the pain, the waste

I smelled the odor of rotted flesh

I saw the children gathered around

Watching, naked, hungry, weeping, diseased, dirty

The ruins, the agony, the despair, disaster all around

Blinded with tears I fled down the streets

I stumbled, then stopped and shouted, "Why God, Why?

Why do you let men sin, hate, suffer?

God, are you blind?  Are you wicked and cruel?

God, can you just watch and do nothing?

Why must this be?"

 

The world grew silent, I waited a reply, the silence was heavy,

I started to tremble, I waited long, half rebuking, half fearing,

And then I heard from close behind me

"WHY MAN, WHY?"

 

Author unknown

 

" The truth is, every problem in the world is all the result of our choice to do it our way.  Every war, every murder, every rape, every divorce, every prostitution, every needle on the streets with drug peddlers, every lie, every tear, every broken relationship, every problem in the world is a result of you and I choosing to do it our way."-Steve Chesnee


John 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.


Champions, have a great week!-David Vining