Thursday, April 12, 2012

Victory

Victory

The short excerpt is by Jim Daly, and the Scripture is 1 Corinthians 15:54-57  Death has been swallowed up in victory. Where, O death, is your victory?  Where, O death, is your sting?  The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.  But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

When I was just nine years old, I saw something that made a tremendous impression on me. The day of my mother s funeral was sunny, but as we arrived at the cemetery, a tremendous wind blew up and the skies darkened. The weather mirrored my mood. My mom was dead and as I stood by her graveside and waited to see her casket lowered into the ground, tears fell fast upon my feet. My life as I had known it was now over. The wind served as a metaphor, disrupting what was supposed to be a calm service. All hope seemed lost.

 

But just as the minister completed his remarks, everyone in attendance looked up and saw that a strange cloud configuration had developed in the distance, revealing what looked like a staircase straight up into the sky.

 

A wonderful feeling of peace and joy swept over me. I believe that God used that moment to remind me that my dear mother, who had accepted Jesus as her Lord and Savior just days earlier, had walked those white steps on her way to glory.

 

Some might dismiss such a moment as childlike emotion, but everybody that was there that day saw exactly the same thing. In fact, my brother, Mike, who was in the Navy and living a very worldly life was so taken by what he saw that he began to investigate Christianity. He subsequently committed his life to Jesus and is now a strong believer.

 

I have heard many stories that give me chills.  A local pastor has observed that there is a very thin wall between the here and the hereafter, especially at the hour of death.  I have had many people ask me to stop talking – so that they can listen to what they see happening in Heaven!

  

Because Jesus defeated death, we do not have to fear or fight death. Because He took the pain and the penalty we deserve, we can look forward to life eternal with Him.

 

Champions, have a great week!-David Vining