Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Truth Hurts-The Truth Heals

The Truth Hurts-The Truth Heals

The short excerpt is by Tom Cnossen, and the Scripture is John 8:31-32 . . . Jesus said, If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.  Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

On Monday I am going to the doctor because my wife made an appointment for me.  Not that there is anything wrong that I know of, they just say that men of my age should have regular physicals.  If you know me, you would know that I do not like doctors.  No, I like doctors, at least most of them, but I hate going to doctors.  I always have.

I finally realized that my issue with doctors is truth.  I, like so many other human beings, am a classic denier of truth.  I do not want to know, so I avoid it – at least in the physical realm.  I think I am OK.  It is not until I am confronted with reality – you know a pain here and there, that big gut you see sticking out on those pictures, the gray hair, the missing teeth – all this stuff – well it finally makes me think, Tom you better face up to it – you need help.

I see people on Facebook living in denial.  They think they can keep up destructive addictions and it will not effect them.  They go on and on this way and when one of theirs dies a tragic death they say, He is in a better place, or we will see him someday. Really?  We like to think that we can just live our lives the way we want and in the end the Lord is going to let everybody into heaven no matter what we believed and no matter how we lived out our lives.

This does not give me much comfort.  If that is true, think of all the evil men and women you will have the privilege of spending eternity with:  Hitler, Jack the Ripper, Sadaam Hussien – you name it and they will be there if this philosophy is true. The Bible tells me the truth : If anyone s name was not found in the Book of Life, he was thrown into the Lake of Fire.   It says: Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts , the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.   Heaven is a place where truth reigns forever. No one will be there who does not come to God by the truth (Jesus) and lives by the truth (God s Word). 

This morning my wife and I discussed our work.  I am a pastor and missionary.  I am responsible for telling people the truth.  I am kind of like a doctor in that way I guess (now I know why so many avoid me). I am responsible for telling people the truth:  You are a sinner, in this state you will go to Hell,  and you need Jesus Christ as your Savior and Lord.  Those are the hard honest facts.  I am responsible that I present this truth in love and that my bedside manner reflects the great mercy of God, but I am not responsible for what people do with it.  The truth can only heal when it is applied by the person who needs it.  If a man was drowning and I threw him a life ring, he would have to grab it and hang on to it.

Champions, have a great week!-David Vining