Thursday, September 2, 2010

We Reap What We Sow

We Reap What We Sow

 

Dear Champions,

 

The short excerpt is by Andy Stanley in his book, The Best Question Ever, and the Scripture is Galatians 6:7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

 

Nothing has stolen more dreams, dashed more hopes, broken up more families, and messed up more people psychologically than our propensity to disregard God s commands regarding sexual purity.  Their results are predictable, but most people think that their outcome will be the exception.

 

In my chiropractor s waiting room I struck up a conversation with a woman whose son was reading a book I had read, and she asked me if I was a teacher.  When I informed her that I was a pastor, she launched into a detailed account of her unfaithful husband and subsequent divorce.  When she mentioned that her husband had run off with his younger secretary, she went on to talk about how quickly he had married his mistress and how difficult it was to find a job that left her with the flexibility she needed to raise their middle-school-aged son.

 

I shook my head and said, Well, let me assure you of one thing:  Your husband is far more miserable than you will ever be. She looked confused, as did the other people in the waiting room who were pretending not to listen.  What do you mean by that? She asked.

 

Well, pretty soon your ex s new wife is going to want to start a family, but he is not going to want to do that because he already did that once.  She is going to be upset, and either way he goes, he is not going to get what he wants.  One day he is going to wake up and realize that he is stuck.

 

Immediately, the guy to my left, whose nose had been buried in his newspaper, blurted out, You got that right!  Apparently I had hit a nerve.  But since I had already opened up one can of worms, I just ignored his comment and focused on my new friend.

 

She sat up a little straighter and actually smiled at the thought of her ex suffering for a change.  You know, I did not think about that, but I bet that you are right.  And he is definitely not going to want to start another family.  Then she turned and said, But how did you know all of that?

 

I am a pastor, I said.  I have seen this played out more times than I can count.  Solomon was right.  There is nothing new under the sun.

 

Champions, have a great week!-David Vining