Thursday, May 21, 2009

Grace to the Humble


Grace to the Humble

Dear Champions,

The short excerpt came from the book Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by the pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle, Jim Cymbala, and the Scripture is James 4:6 . . . God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.

I was so depressed by what I saw-and even more by what I felt in my spirit-that I literally could not preach.  Five minutes into my sermon, I began choking on the words.  Tears filled my eyes, and gloom engulfed me.  With that, I just quit.  It was embarrassing, but I could not do anything else.

I leaned into the pulpit, my face planted in my hands, and sobbed.  Things were quiet at first, but soon the Spirit of God came down upon us.  People began to call upon the Lord – God help us, we prayed.

Suddenly a young usher came running down the center aisle and threw himself on the altar.  He began to cry as he prayed.  I am sorry!  I will not do it again!  Please forgive me!  Instantly I realized that he was apologizing for taking money from the offering plate.

That evening, when I was at my lowest, I realized that God is attracted to weakness.  He cannot resist those who humbly and honestly admit how desperately they need Him.  Our weakness, in fact makes room for His power.

In a parallel vein, people are not put off by honesty, either, and I did not have to keep up a ministerial front.  Jesus called fishermen, not graduates of rabbinical schools, and the main requirement was to be natural and sincere.  I had to stop trying to act ministerial – whatever that was, and what a breakthrough that was for me as I learned to trust God to use my natural personality.  God has always despised sham and pretense, and the minute I started trying to effect a posture of pose, Gods Spirit would be grieved.

Champions, have a great week!-David Vining