Thursday, February 26, 2009

SHAPED BY RELIGION OR THE GOSPEL

SHAPED BY RELIGION OR THE GOSPEL
 
Dear Champions,
 
The short excerpt is by Tim Keller, and the Scripture is John 10:14-15 I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me­ just as the Father knows me and I know the Father­and I lay down my life for the sheep.
 
Why do Christians live the way that they do?  Not how do they live because basically they live like other good people, but why do they live the way that they do?  Jesus says that all shepherds basically tell you that here is how you should live, but I am the only Shepherd who does not just tell you how you have to live, but I came to live the life that you should have lived and died the death that you should have died in your place.  So when you come to God in my name, God delights in you now.
 
Religion says that if I try real hard to live right, then God will accept me.  The gospel says that because of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ; you are already accepted, now live right.
 
In religion you live right out of the anxious hope that if you try hard enough to live right you will move God to bless you and take you to heaven.  It also says that you better live right, or God will reject you.  The gospel says that because of an infinite cost to Himself, God will never reject you, and it makes you want to live right to delight and please Him.
 
A person shaped by religion is shepherded by fear and a whip is what is moving that person to live right.  A person shaped by the gospel is moved to live right out of joy. 
 
Champions, have a great week!-David Vining